Thursday 2 July 2015

Letterpress printing. Fritz Eichenberg. Reflecting on the past.

A wonderful letterpress printing plate, all the way from Germany. Fantastic detail, and such a world of emotion expressed in that face.
The seller didn't have detailed information about it, but thought it might be from the work of a wonderful illustrator called Fritz Eichenberg. I will do research, but if it IS Eichenberg's work, I am even more inspired.Fritz Eichenberg was a German-American illustrator and arts educator who worked primarily in wood engraving. His best-known works were concerned with religion, social justice and nonviolence. I know this much from wikipedia - I will learn more! The block is a stereotype - created for making an illustration, perhaps for a book or magazine.

I have printed him a few times, but recently for an exhibition of ACEO art, where the artwork has to be 2.5 inches by 3.5 inches. This means that he is not fully visible, just looking into the picture from the mount, and with a letterpress printed phrase, as if he was thinking.

I hadn't realised he was a monk until I printed him, and now he reminds me of a Cadfael figure reflecting on a long and varied life from the peace of his monastic cell.
He doesn't look sad, so much as reflective.
Such a fine image, it is a privilege to print.
I thought I would celebrate my return to the blog with this uncharacteristically wistful and reflective series of images!


The exhibition is at The Workers Gallery in Ynyshir, and then on tour during the summer. Here's the link for gallery.  




4 comments:

  1. What a treasure, how beautiful.

    Great to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! That's fabulous, and you're right: so detailed. What a wonderfully whimsical collection of quotes to go with it too. :o)
    (You've inspired another board on Pinterest with this...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad you like the quotes also.

      Delete